We need your help in securing a universal, single-payer health care system that is based on meeting human needs, not market needs.
Below you will find resources and campaigns designed to help you become more involved in the movement at the state and national levels.
No matter how you look at it, our profit-driven healthcare system is an affront to our right to health care.
We entered the new year with record numbers of hospitalizations and deaths related to COVID-19. By the time you read this, nearly 550,000 Americans and 12,000 North Carolinians will have died from the deadly coronavirus. According to a recent study published in The Lancet, co-written by Physicians for a National Health Program co-founders Dr. David Himmelstein and Dr. Steffie Woolhandler, an astounding 40 percent of coronavirus deaths in the U.S. over the past year were avoidable.
The authors of The Lancet study also estimated that 461,000 Americans died unnecessarily in 2018 alone due to our fragmented and inequitable health care system.
Now is the time for us to redouble our efforts to mobilize a movement of millions that we’ll need to win Expanded and Improved Medicare for All.
We need your help to make health care in the U.S. a public good, not a private commodity. Make the choice today to become more active in Health Care for All NC by visiting our new website, www.healthcareforallnc.org and clicking on Join to donate or renew your membership. Please continue reading below about our new website, quick actions, upcoming events and resources.
Everybody in, nobody out!
Your friends at Health Care for All NC
Our website, www.healthcareforallnc.org, has a new look!
Last year, we made the decision to transition to NationBuilder to increase our capacity to communicate to the public important information about Medicare for All and to better connect to our membership.
Our “About Single Payer” area is loaded with resources and information about Medicare for All policy and current legislation.
Looking to get more involved? Head to the “Events” page or click on the “Take Action” button to find ways that you can connect to the single-payer movement, secure a speaker from Health Care for All NC, get involved with our student activism and learn how to write letters to the editor.
If you are a member of a partner organization and do not see your organization listed on the “Our Partners” page, please let us know and we will be happy to add your name and logo.
Finally, we want to send a big thank you to Chris Lui-Beers of Tomatillo Design for his many years of service in helping us grow the single-payer movement in North Carolina.
HCFANC Annual Meeting - TBA
- Our 2021 annual meeting will feature nationally-recognized speakers who will discuss how we can and must leverage our policy expertise and grassroots organizing in order to achieve a universal, single-payer system. The annual meeting will be conducted virtually on Zoom.
- The business portion of the meeting will precede the panel discussion. Only HCFANC members may attend this part.
Health providers: Show your support for Medicare for All!
- We are at a pivotal moment in our fight for Improved and Expanded Medicare For All, and we need the voices of our NC medical providers to be front and center in this fight. We are launching a social media campaign that makes it very easy for you to participate, and will only take a few minutes of your time.
- All you have to do is fill out this simple google form with a quote about why you support Medicare For All, and then share a photo of yourself (if you are comfortable doing so) by putting it into a google folder. Please make sure the photo is labeled with your name. We will then take the quote and photo and turn it into a social media graphic, which we will showcase on our website and social media, and highlight during our annual meeting. Thanks in advance for your participation!
Sign the petition to demand our congressional leaders support Medicare for All
- HCFANC is helping to support the North Carolina Medicare for All Coalition’s petition campaign to pressure our NC congressional delegation to sign on to the new versions of the Medicare For All bills which will be introduced in the U.S. House and Senate sometime this month!
- Please see the petition here and sign on if you have not done so already: ncm4a.org/m4a2021.
PNHP Kitchen Table Campaign -- Mental health care
- The United States was facing a mental health crisis before COVID-19, but the pandemic has made these long-standing problems considerably worse. Commercial health insurance has no interest in addressing this crisis. When it comes to mental health care, we need improved Medicare for All.
- Use these resources to become informed about the ways that Medicare for All means Mental Health Care for All
The Lancet Commission on Public Policy and Health in the Trump Era
- The Lancet Commission on public policy and health in the Trump era is the first comprehensive assessment of the health effects of President Trump’s policies. Led by 33 leading experts from the US, UK and Canada, including PNHP co-founders Dr. David Himmelstein and Dr. Steffie Woolhandler, the Commission was tasked with chronicling the repercussions of the administration’s actions and charting policies for a healthy future.
- Please watch and share this video report about the Commission’s key findings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nl9H2yKFk&list=PLSaXSIVAygybl8VJcg6q8RRi6aa9LtdMz&index=17&t=2646s