- PNHP members will be joining National Nurses United and others at a “Medicare turns 50″ rally on July 30 from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., in Upper Senate Park, across Constitution Avenue from the Capitol.
- Later that day, Rep. John Conyers, lead sponsor of H.R. 676, the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act, will hold a congressional briefing, moderated by veteran journalist Bill Moyers, from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Rayburn House Office Building, room 2137.
Garrett Adams, MD, MPH, Past-president, Physicians for a National Health Program will be representing PNHP on the panel at Rep. Conyers’ briefing, and joining leaders from NNU and Public Citizen, among others.
- In between and after these events PNHP members and others will be participating in a special congressional Lobby Day for H.R. 676, working in tandem with a national call-in effort (the Congressional Switchboard number is 202-224-3121), in both cases urging lawmakers to become co-sponsors of the single-payer legislation.
In addition, each year many PNHP members write op-eds and letters to the editor on the occasion of Medicare’s anniversary. Here are some resources to help you write your op-ed:
- Talking points for the 50th anniversary
- A brief review of the program’s history and financing prospects by Dr. Ida Hellander
- The case for an improved Medicare for All
- If you’d like editorial assistance for writing an opinion piece, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read This Now ⇥