- This event has passed.
White Coats at Poor People’s Campaign Week 6: Challenging the Nation’s Distorted Moral Narrative
June 18, 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
White Coats for the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival
The Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival is uniting tens of thousands of people across the nation to challenge systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, ecological devastation and the United States distorted moral narrative.
We are organizing together to build a national moral movement, led by the poor, those most directly impacted and moral leaders, to transform our nation; Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II, architect of the Moral Monday movement and president of Repairers of the Breach, and Rev. Dr. Liz Theoharis, co-director of the Kairos Center for Religions, Rights and Social justice, are national chairs for the campaign.
Read the Campaign Agenda here.
The Health Plank is “We demand the expansion of Medicaid in every state and the protection of Medicare and single-payer universal health care for all”
Role of the White Coats in the Poor Peoples Campaign.
- A group of doctors, nurses, physician assistants and other health professionals in their white coats are noticed, draw press, surprise people, and carry moral authority.
- We want to mobilize a white coat brigade in every state and DC for the PPC and also in DC for the culminating events on June 23.
- State white coat brigades should communicate with their state PPC so that they are sure that any actions they plan contribute to (and do not detract from) other planned activities.
- Those who are willing to face arrest for their beliefs can do so—others will witness.
- White coats should plug in every week, in your white coats
- White Coats can help staff health tents to provide emergency/triage care for protesters who become ill, especially during the final week in DC (contact Dr. Gary Greenberg if you want to join this team)
- 4th week –put more energy here June 4th