- This event has passed.
Donald T. Moore, MD, Endowed Lectures by Drs. Foster & Sullivan
October 24, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Duke Ob/Gyn is proud to present the inaugural Donald T. Moore, MD, Endowed Lecture honoring the legacy of the esteemed physician, educator and community leader. The goal of the Moore Lectureship is to bring to Duke and Durham nationally recognized experts on such topics as health care disparities, societal issues related to access to care, and the economics and politics of health care. Following the evolving desegregation of Duke Hospital, Dr. Moore had a tremendous impact as the first African American Fellow in the School of Medicine when he was asked to join the Department of Ob/Gyn at the invitation of Chairman Roy T. Parker, MD. He also served as Chief of Ob/Gyn at Lincoln Hospital, which later became Lincoln Community Health Center, and trained many Duke residents, medical students, and nurses. His teaching role continued at Durham Regional Hospital, now Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Hospital.
Henry Foster, MD
· Professor emeritus and former Dean, School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College
· Clinical professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology — Vanderbilt University
· Senior advisor to former President Bill Clinton on teen pregnancy reduction and youth issues
· Nominee, U.S. Surgeon General
· Author: Make a Difference
Louis Sullivan, MD
· Former Secretary, US Dept. of Health and Human Services
· Founding Dean of the Medical Education Program at Morehouse College
· Chair, Sullivan Commission on Diversity in the Healthcare Workforce, an outgrowth of a grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to Duke University School of Medicine
· Author: Breaking Ground: My Life in Medicine and The Morehouse Mystique: Becoming a Doctor at the Nation’s Newest African American Medical School
Download poster here.